Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Garden Craziness!

The Garden is where I spent most of my free time this summer. We had lots of picnics and dinners out at the garden while we were working. The kids loved it at first, but when it was time to pull weeds they weren't too excited. Dad and I planted 1/2 acre full of onions, tomatoes, green beans, peas, beets, brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, peppers, canteloupe, potatoes, zucchini, and of course 14 rows of corn! We canned, we froze and we had many home grown meals which included dad's own raised beef, pork, and chicken.

Our slave labor. All of the kids snapping beans. We canned 130 qts of green beans.

We found several little friends in the garden including potato bugs, frogs, and snakes.

Carter and Griffy helping dad plant potatoes.

Nels hard at work hoeing with Dylan

Macee, Grandpa, Carter, and Annie on the tractor

Everything is home grown!

Carter in with the pigs

10 comments:

Smitty n' Chelle said...

wow!!! Great job on the garden! I wish we could have a garden. I think they are so good not only for teh food but to give teh kids good chores that teach tem a godd work ethic and realize what hard work can bring. That looks like a big garden!!!

Ashley Wray said...

I love having garden goodness. There is just something that makes you feel awesome because you grew them yourself! Where did you plant this ginourmous garden? Cute pics, how fun for the kids to get to join in on the fun :)

AmandaS said...

I am so jealous! I need a huge garden like that. I don't think my kids are going to go for us turning the entire backyard into a field, however. Good for you guys! Talk about provident living!

KyleandAmanda said...

Wow! Welcome back! The kids look like they had fun in the garden! Maybe someday 6 years down the road I can help you in the garden.

Lacee said...

Yum!! Love fresh from the garden produce, looks like all your hard work paid off!

Romney Family said...

How great the you guys had such a big and productive garden!! I can't wait till I have my own backyard so I can have a big garden. Yeah for the update. it is so fun to see pictures of everyone!!

Lisa said...

That looks like a lot of work, and wonderful at the same time!! Oh, I would love a big garden like that. You can really feel proud about that!! How fun!

Emilee said...

We loved the produce you shared with us! Colton & Britnee would love to see the chickens sometime.

Emilee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krista said...

Holy cow!! I have heard about this garden, but wow that is pretty awesome...tons of work, but a good pay off:) I love garden food!